Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Blog #2 Response

Now I want you to talk about the idea of keeping a notebook (or, as we're 40-some years after she wrote this essay, a blog). Is it about "keeping in touch" as Didion says? Is it usually an exercise in narcissism? Do you keep a notebook (or blog) yourself? How do other forms of social media fit in? Do they change the way we record the world around us in a way that was unavailable to Didion in the 1960s? Or is it accomplishing the same thing?

I believe that notebooks are streams of consciousness-one can let everything out of their mind and onto paper. I believe that it could be an exercise of narcissism, but it would depend on the person's feelings at that excite time that they wrote in their notebook. As for myself, I do not blog nor do I keep a notebook. I have in the past, but only for classes that required it. My boyfriend gets to be the fortunate one that hears all my thoughts. Lucky guy. Other forms of social media that are used to "keep in touch" are the ever popular Facebook, Twitter, etc. In comparison to Didion and the social media outlets of today, they are accomplishing the same thing. They are letting the world know how one feels at that instant, whether it be indirect or direct. One can understand a person's implications or feelings just by what they post for the world to see. For example, if someone posted a joke or humorous YouTube video, it would be understood that the person that made the comment was in a mood that was light, airy, fun, comical, etc. The only difference about Didion's notebook and our Facebook is that the grammar might be better and the words or meanings less provocative.

No comments:

Post a Comment